Subject: Re: kernel panic on 4000SC during boot, what now?
To: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
From: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
List: port-arc
Date: 10/03/2000 12:22:07
> If you'd be willing to build me a kernel that fits on a floppy, I'd be more
> than happy to try it out and post results.  I'm eager to get this thing booted!

Well give these a try ..at ftp://204.57.142.148 in the pub directory
you will see a subdirectory named 'magnum'
inside you'll find two sub directories..floppy and floppy-ddb.
Both subdirectories contain an floopy boot image
(netbsd.ecoff is bootable) using the configuration file
listed below .  The difference is one directory (floppy)
the ddb option was turned off when kernel was built,
the other turned on (floppy-ddb).
Now the netbsd.ecoff image file with the in-kernel
debugger is too big to fit on a floppy so I also
include a file called netbsd.strip where netbsd.ecoff
image was stripped... I found some 'arc' machines
will load a 'stripped' ecoff image and some don't
which is why I built on image without ddb (floppy subdirectory).
I hope one of these boot!  The only thing I'm not
sure of is if the option COM_FREQ_MAGNUM=8192000
is correct... If wrong clock frequency you'll get nothing at all.#       $NetBSD:
M403,v 1.9 2000/07/23 10:06:43 ur Exp $#
#

include         "arch/arc/conf/std.arc"

maxusers        32              # estimated number of users

# Misc. arc-specific options
options         COMCONSOLE

makeoptions  COPTS="-Os"        # generates smaller code than -O1,-O2

# Diagnostic/debugging support options
options         DIAGNOSTIC      # cheap kernel consistency checks
#options        DDB             # in-kernel debugger

# Compatibility options
options         COMPAT_14       # NetBSD 1.4,

# File systems
file-system     FFS             # fast filesystem
file-system     NFS             # Network File System client

# Networking options
options        INET

# Kernel root file system and dump configuration.
options         NFS_BOOT_BOOTP,NFS_BOOT_BOOTPARAM
config          netbsd  root on ? type ?

#
# Device configuration
#

mainbus0        at root
cpu*            at mainbus0
#### Pica bus devices

pica*           at mainbus0     # ACER Pica systems local bus.
aclock0         at pica?
options         COM_FREQ_MAGNUM=8192000 # 8.192 MHz - NEC M403
com0            at pica?
com1            at pica?
lpt0            at pica?
sn0             at pica?

fdc0            at pica?
fd*             at fdc? drive ?

asc0            at pica?
scsibus*        at asc?

#### SCSI bus devices
sd*             at scsibus? target ? lun ?