Subject: Re: NEC Image RISCstation
To: None <port-arc@netbsd.org, x33MHz@softhome.net>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 08/09/2000 19:04:14
> I have an NEC Image RISCstation w/ 16MB ram and a 200MB HD.
> currently I have not *nix systems available to netboot to however I
> can burn CD-r disks that can be read. The NIC that I am using is a
> 3c509B-TPC in an ISA slot (the card does not have an EPROM).
> NT4 is currently installed. Currently the inteded use for the system
> is a dialup router w/ minimal webservices (http and ftp).
>
> What is the best way to get NetBSD installed if it can be? If it
> cannot be installed what will be needed to complete successfully
> an installation?

Because currently there is no installation program for NetBSD/arc,
netbooting is needed for the installation.

> If netbooting is required, is there a way of programming EPROMs
> in the netcard for use as a bootrom?

You don't have to program EPROM for netbooting.
I'm using the following way:
	1. put a kernel on FAT partition.
	2. specify the kernel at "Run program" menu of ARC BIOS.
	  (or, create a boot menu entry for the kernel)
	3. specify "sn0" as root device of booted kernel.
--
soda