Subject: Re: NEC RiscServer 2200
To: Warner Losh , Kurt Bloom <kbloom@winternet.com>
From: Prasad Nuli <pnuli@yahoo.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 07/27/2000 15:13:27
It is bit difficult to install on the  NetBSD
comparing to OpenBSD which has a superior installation
program.

As warner suggested try to make a dos partition on the
harddrive. It is probably easier to use WINDOWS NT CD
and use.

At the ARC BIOS prompt you would run the program for
partitiong the drive.
CD:\mips\arcinst
This program helps you to create a dos / fat
partition. you can have upto 2 Gig of the partition.
It is best to make 350-400 Meg and install NT. (
Easier way to do, so you can access that parition
using NT if you need to )

Then copy the file called netbsd.PCCONS.ecoff file to
C:\ Then you have to rename that file to netbsd.eco or
some thing like that. In the arc bios there is file
name limitation as 8.3 from dos world. I use nebsd.eco

Then from the ARC BIOS prompt execute that program
with command

SCSI(0)DISK(0)RDISK(0)PARTITION(1)\netbsd.eco

This will boot the netbsd and brings up to a point
where you can do a net install or cd install or hd
install.

Then if you want to use net install then you would
pick sn0 option.

For this you need to setup another netbsd or unix
machine to do diskless install. This is tedious. But
from then on it is explained on netbsd web page.

It would have been easier if there is a sysinstall
utility for arc-netbsd. Give it a try. I am sure there
are probably other ways to install, none of them are
easier either.

Prasad Nuli

<Pine.GSO.4.05.10007271534370.22072-100000@parka.winternet.com>