Subject: Re: NEC RiscServer 2200
To: Kurt Bloom <kbloom@winternet.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 07/27/2000 14:56:51
In message
<Pine.GSO.4.05.10007271534370.22072-100000@parka.winternet.com> Kurt
Bloom writes:
: Just an update of my woes. So I took the netbsd.GENERIC.ecoff and the
: netbsd.ecoff files described below, burned them onto a cd, put that in the
: RiscServer, changed the arc path to the cdrom, fired it off and it says:
: Error: The file or device does not exist, press any key to continue
:
: the cdrom shows activity ie lights up, so I'm thinking it has to be my
: ecoff. I'm perplexed that these ecoffs won't fit on a floppy. I'm under
: the understanding that these were designed for floppies? So now I think
: I've screwed the files up somehow in the process of downloading them and
: getting them on the cd? Any ideas?

Most of my experience with these machines comes from being the
OpenBSD/arc maintainer for years, so things might be different for
NetBSD/arc (my machine runs OpenBSD/arc at the mopment, I've not had
time to make it dual boot).

The boot kernels will work from any media.  If you have NT on the
system right now, then you must have a FAT partition on that disk.
Your best bet may be to put one or both of these kernels onto that FAT
partition and try to boot from that.  You can usually do this by
picking the "run a program" and specifying "c:netbsd.ecoff" as the
name of the file to run.  At least on my BIOS (rPC44 from
Deskstation), that's how I do it to test thigns out.  I have a FAT
partition and a FFS partition, but you get the idea. :-)

Instead of C:, you may need to specify the entire path to the drive in
arc BIOS format.  That might also be your problem with the cdrom boot.

Warner