Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re: does ld.elf=5Fso work on ARC??=
To: None <mk2s@digitalcommute.com>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 06/15/2000 23:00:29
> >Hmm. Did you try the binary snapshot on the following URL?
> >	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arc/snapshot/20000303/
>
> I tried that when I first got started out, and couldn't get them to work at
> all.  The kernels trapped really early.  Can I use a recent kernel with that
> user land from 0303?

Yes.
Some kvm related utilities won't work.
But other userland (esp. toolchain) should just work.

> >> Also I noticed that I had to set __NO_LEADING_UNDERSCORE__ in libc/sys/
> >> Makefile.inc to get libc to link.  Is this normal?
> >
> >No. This seems to be toolchain configuration problem.
> >Please look at /us/rsrc/gnu/dist/gcc/config/mips/netbsd.h.
> >Standard gcc already should have this definition.
>
> Thank you, I'll definitely lookinto that too.  I cross compile from i386-
> netbsd for now and I got my tool chain from pkgsrc mipsel-netbsd, and did a
> 'make all install'  Is this not what every one else does?  I'm at egcs
> 2.91.60 now.

Some changes in netbsd source tree might not be sent to gcc people
(the changes should be sent, if there is some changes which is not
sent yet, that is simply due to manpower problem).
This might be a cause of your problem.

I know many people are using cross compiler for kernel, but probably
only few people are using cross compiler for userland.
--
soda