Subject: Trouble with SCSI writes on M700(asc.c)
To: None <port-arc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael 'Maki' Kato <mk2s@digitalcommute.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 06/08/2000 08:40:06
Hello group,

  I'm trying to get my Olivetti M700 running NetBSD.  I'm at the point where
I can mount a root partition and run commands from the shell.  I'm running
NetBSD-Current that's a few weeks old.  I cross compile from an Intel box.

  The problem I'm having is that the operation of writing to disk is hanging.
I seem to be able to read fine, but when I write the machine stalls.

  I've turned on the debug printouts in asc, and the last few things I see
when I run the command 'disklabel -r -R sd0' are

asc_startcmd: asc0 target 1 cmd a len 8192
asc_intr: status 80 ss c4 ir 18 cond 3:18
asc_dma_out: buflen 8192, len 8192

I believe at least 512 bytes are written since when I reboot my machine, some
changes to the disk are evident.( eg. when I run fdisk, I see the partition
type change )

  I have a lot of questions, but if anyone can offer any help for the
following I would be grateful.

  What's supposed to happen next in the above sequence?  I think I should get
an interrupt back from the scsi controller when the dma is done.  Is this
correct?  The code seems to look like the device driver is not asking for an
interrupt from the R4030 DMA controller when it is done, is this correct?
Anyone running this code on a similar machine such as Magnum4000?  How do I
figure out these kind of problems?

  Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated