Subject: Re: ARC system and SGI
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@is.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-arc
Date: 04/18/2000 09:25:06
On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 04:15:29PM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> wasted this entire afternoon due to very slow CD-ROM drive.  During
> that painful job, I noticed IRIX installation tools have following

Yeah, talk about bloat :-)

> I have never run IRIX on a fresh HD, so I did not realize such names
> existed in CD-ROMs.
>
> After some of wonderful research, I got impression and groundless
> guess as follows;
>
> - Install CD-ROM seems to have provision of BE and LE simultaneously.

Hm? I don't know of any SGI MIPS systems capable of running in LE
mode, so I doubt any such functionality works in practice.

> - Sash (standalone shell) may be able to run 'other endian' binary.
> - Can any SGI computer run little endian mode after all, with a rabit
>   magic of hidden switch???

Don't think so.

> - how differs the ROM monitor and/or sash of SGI's Insel-Intide NT box
>   from MIPS?

I don't know about their i386 boxes, but the ARCS interfaces is very
similar to the non-SGI ARC, althought there are some differences.
When using just the most basic functionality, the major difference
is that the memory descriptor type constants are different.

--
Soren