Port-amigappc archive

Re: WhitePapers

On Jan 28,  9:18pm, is%jocelyn.rhein.de@localhost (Ignatios Souvatzis) wrote:
-- Subject: WhitePapers

| Here are the whitepapers...
|
| if you want to comment, I'd prefer you to reply to port-amigappc (which is NOT
| public currently, but I invite you).

I don't know how the BAT works, but here are some comments on relocation:

- The kernel can be linked for the virtual address it will be finally using,
  and loaded at some other physical address. Some careful hand crafted assembly
  in locore.s can setup the mmu properly. This avoids the need for relocation,
  but it is not trivial to write the hand crafted assembly.
- Write all the code pic? Is that even feasible?
- Use a separate magic program as you mention. Seems to me that it will
  be difficult to debug...
- have an ld.so in the kernel. But then ld.so will need to relocate itself, so
  you end up in the second case.

christos