Re: A3000 problems

On Dec 28, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Frank Wille wrote:

> Radoslaw Kujawa wrote:
>
>>> Yes, my CSPPC is also identified as "PowerUp". I don't know why Adam
>>> Ciarcinski, who wrote the initial amigappc port code, decided that
>>> only 'E' serial numbers are CSPPC, but I also didn't care much.
>>
>> Maybe there's better way to differentiate between these two than
>> checking serial number?
>
> I don't even know where the difference between a "PowerUp" and a "CSPPC"
> board is. AFAIR there were early developer boards. Were those just called
> "PowerUp"?

Yes, dev boards for CyberStorm Mk-II were called "PowerUP":
http://bboah.com/download_photos/ppcproto_5_big.jpg

>> We could assume that we're dealing with CSPPC
>> if it's 604 and BPPC if it's 603. But this solution is as hackish as
>> current.
>
> Better would be: it's a BPPC when it is installed in an A1200. CSPPC
> otherwise.
> Some developer boards had a 603e. Were A2000-BPPCs ever released?

Some guy stuck a dev board onto Blizzard 2060:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWfXhmi1wY . So it's possible to have a PPC in
A2000 ;). Dunno if that behaves more like an BPPC or like CSPPC. But I never
heard of official PPC card for A2000.

>> Yup, that's the case - gobsdppc prints that kernel is loaded at 0x5000
>> 0000. Loader should follow priority information from AmigaOS (CSPPC RAM
>> is prioritized to be allocated first). Using firstseg option to
>> gobsdppc is a workaround to this problem - kernel is loaded and
>> executed successfully at 0x0800 0000 (and works as expected).
>
> The FIRSTSEG/S option is misleading. In reality it is implemented as "use
> segment with highest priority" instead of "use biggest segment".

Fine then, but shouldn't it be the default in amigappc port? You'd always want
to load kernel into CSPPC/BPPC RAM, which always have highest priority.

>>> [...]
>> Looks like something bad happens if kernel is loaded into Z3 RAM.  Lack
>> of BAT setup is the first problem here?
>
> The kernel will be automatically relocated for the Z3 RAM, like a BPPC
> kernel. The only problem could be that I'm always using a 128MB BAT for
> CSPPC, while your Z3 RAM is 256MB.

Ah, that's not really true - my ZorRAM is a 128MB model. Though, for some
reason it allocates 256MB of Z3 space. ZorRAM is currently produced in two
versions - 128MB and 256MB. I suspect that CPLD core is same for both versions.
What happens if actual size of RAM is different than allocated Z3 space size?
It should not be a problem, because memlist contains valid values passed from
AmigaOS?

>>> [...]
>> Actually, today I removed CV64/3D from this A3000 and kernel booted
>> with Deneb. No idea what difference it makes...
>
> Maybe too much memory space used by CV64/3D + ZorRAM + Deneb? For CSPPC a
> 256MB BAT will be reserved at 0x40000000 for Z3 cards. But when the CV64/3D
> is already using all the 256MB, the Deneb will not be BAT-mapped. Without
> the CV64/3D it returns into the mapped 0x40000000-space.

Makes sense. ShowConfig looks like this:

PROCESSOR:      CPU 68040/68040fpu
CUSTOM CHIPS:   ECS PAL Agnus (id=$0020), ECS Denise (id=$00FC)
VERS:   Kickstart version 40.68, Exec version 40.10, Disk version 40.42
RAM:    Node type $A, Attributes $505 (FAST), at $8000000-$FEFFFFF (127.0 meg)
        Node type $A, Attributes $505 (FAST), at $7C00000-$7FFFFFF (4.0 meg)
        Node type $A, Attributes $405 (FAST), at $50000000-$57FFFFFF (128.0 meg)
        Node type $A, Attributes $703 (CHIP), at $4000-$1FFFFF (~2.0 meg)
BOARDS:
 Board (unidentified):   Prod=3643/16($E3B/$10)
     (@$40000000, size 16meg, subsize same)
 Board (unidentified):   Prod=3643/19($E3B/$13) (@$E90000 64K)
 RAM (unidentified):   Prod=3643/32($E3B/$20)
     (@$50000000, size 256meg, subsize autosized Mem)
 Board (unidentified):   Prod=8512/67($2140/$43)
     (@$60000000, size 256meg, subsize same)
 Board + ROM (HD?) (unidentified):   Prod=2206/62($89E/$3E)
     (@$70000000, size 16meg, subsize same)
 Board + ROM (HD?) (unidentified):   Prod=8512/100($2140/$64) (@$F01060 128K)

First two boards is Deneb, then ZorRAM, CV64/3D, FastATA 4000 and CSPPC. Is it
possible to BAT-map some additional space to support configuration like this? I
see that BAT_BL_256M is max possible block size for older PPC CPUs...

--
Best regards,
RadosÅaw Kujawa