Re: Problems booting miniroot for upgrade to 5.1

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> I'm running 5.0.1 on Amiga and wanted to upgrade to 5.1. So I
> transferred miniroot.fs to the swap partition using dd and rebooted from
> it. I enter "netbsd -b" at the bootloader prompt, but after a few
> moments, I get a message:
>
> "kernel symbol table missing"

  That's because you didn't tell the boot loader to include the kernel
symbol table with the -S option.

> "unable to allocate space in parent map"

  Would that be "panic: uvm_km_suballoc: unable to allocate space in
parent map"?

> followed by a "db>" prompt.

  If you include the -S option on the boot command, you can get a stack
backtrace at this point with the 'trace' (or 'bt') command.  It will also
work without kernel symbols, but it makes it harder to determine the
functions that were called.  This should show who called uvm_km_suballoc()
and narrow where the problem is.  I can't remember if the m68k stack trace
includes arguments, but if it does, it would be nice to determine the size
of the request.

Mike