Re: Problems booting miniroot for upgrade to 5.1

Dirk Heinrichs wrote:

> "unable to allocate space in parent map"
> [...]
> System is Amiga 3000 with Cyberstorm MKII (060) and CyberGFX 64/3D.

Probably this has something to do with the page table limitation in pmap,
which Ignatios mentioned a few hours ago? While current (5.99.x) switched
to a common m68k pmap module, 5.1 still uses the old, amiga-specific one.

The CV64/3D is known to allocate a huge memory window. Maybe there are not
enough page tables for it.

You may want to confirm my assumption by disabling the CV64/3D with the
shutdown-tool before booting NetBSD. Or remove the card for a test.

As I understand you, 5.0 worked. So maybe it helps to boot a smaller 5.1
kernel. Maybe you can compile a customized kernel yourself. Or try to boot
the normal generic kernel, instead of the installation kernel, which also
is a bit smaller. You can simply do that by renaming your current kernel
and copy the 5.1 one to /netbsd (a newer kernel will have no problems with
your old files). Then reboot the system.

When this works, then you're lucky and can do the update manually by
extracting the sets with "tar xzfp ..." in single-user mode, as John
mentioned. Do not forget the etcupdate(8) when done.

As a last option you can try a current kernel or wait for 6.0.

--
Frank Wille