Re: Time to fix the memory allocation on port-amiga

On Dec 21, 2010, at 5:08 AM, John Klos wrote:

> I have to start learning the internals myself if I'm to be useful. Could
> anyone help me get started, either by suggesting some reading materials or by
> suggesting a starting place to figure out where to fix these allocation
> issues? This should be a relatively slow week, and I'd love to get this fixed.

I consider myself a beginner, so I know getting started with kernel development
is hard. Even if everyday I learn something new about NetBSD internals, there's
always much to learn. I come across many problems I don't comprehend. Often I
think I understand how some subsystem works, only to be defeated later by an
unexplained crash. Surprisingly, NetBSD is quite big and complex OS. While
extreme portability is cool, sometimes it may pose additional difficulties for
a person trying to understand how NetBSD works (many abstraction layers, APIs
trying to be very generic, jumping between machine-independent,
architecture-dependent and machine dependent source files). We're dealing here
with obsolete (some people prefer "vintage") architecture and quite modern
operating system. Even this fact makes some implications: you won't find many
publications on NetBSD internals, and (perhaps) none about NetBSD kernel on
Amiga ;).

I'd take a quick look at maxmem variable (defined in
arch/amiga/amiga/amiga_init.c). Comment suggests that maxmem holds maximum
possible process size. On most architectures this variable equals physical
memory size (so you can't have a process larger than you total RAM size). But
on amiga this is computed in a less obvious way, which I don't even dare to
understand until I'll get some sleep ;). I'm not sure if this is really related
to your problem. As far as I remember, Frank once mentioned, that we're not
using address space beyond 0x1000 0000. This fact may be related. Or not.

If I ever get the time to install NetBSD on my A3000 (total 260MB of Fast RAM),
then I'll gladly help debugging this problem. However, lack of time is my main
problem these days...

--
Best regards,
RadosÅaw Kujawa