Re: Clockport devices configuration layer [was: Re: USB stack vs bus_dma_tag_t]

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:57:01PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 11:57:28PM +0200, Radek Kujawa wrote:
> > Wiadomo?? napisana w dniu 2010-10-18, o godz. 23:04, przez Frank Wille:
> > >
> > >Ok, but then the clockport should attach to that specific Zorro
> > >card and not
> > >to the zbus directly. For example:
> > >
> > >ne* at zbus0
> > >clockport* at ne?        # X-surf clockport
> >
> > I understand what you mean but... ne is a cross-platform driver for
> > a NE2000 chip and it does know absolutely nothing about clockports.
> > Why should it know? On a hardware level, clockport on these cards is
> > attached to Zorro bus directly ;).
>
> No, it is not. It is attached to part of the address space of the
> zbus card.

Yes, I oversimplified, my point was that it is not attached to ne.

> So you'd rather attach:
>
> xsurf* at zbus0
> ne* at xsurf?
> clockport* at xsurf?

Makes sense for me, but does it mean that I have to introduce additional layer
for evey zbus card carrying clockport? I can do it this way, but I would have
to modify many drivers. And I would not be able to test most of these, because
I don't have appropriate hardware - it seems risky.

Best regards,
Radoslaw Kujawa