Re: new NetBSD user dummy questions - change root password problem

Radek Kujawa wrote:

>>  [...]
> This bug may or may not be platform-depended, but on most platforms
> /etc/passwd.conf is populated by sysinst, so this bug is not _that_ easy
> to observe.

Shouldn't passwd.conf be written when sysinst asks you if you want DES or
MD5 encryption for your passwords?

But I'm suprised, because I didn't see a pattern whether the default
settings in passwd.conf are commented out or not.
I checked some of my systems:

sparc 3.1.1: ok
i386 5.0RC2: commented out
i386 4.0.1: commented out
macppc 3.1.1: ok
i386 3.1.1: commented out
amiga 4.0: commented out

>> If you run NetBSD/amiga, can you reproduce this on your machine with
>> NetBSD 4.0.1 on 68060 CPU and an empty passwd.conf file
> I have 3.0.1 installed on my A1200 with 68030, and can't reproduce this
> behaviour (with empty root password and empty /etc/passwd.conf). Also
> tried this on amd64 running 4.0 - no problem there.
>
> Can anyone else running NetBSD 4 on Amiga comment on this problem?

I had NetBSD/amiga 4.0 running on my A3000/060, and there was no problem to
change the root password.

Today I updated to 4.0.1 (copying kernel, extracting base.tgz), rebooted and
tried to change the password with user root (passwd.conf was still inactive).
Now I get the error:

Couldn't generate salt
Unable to change auth token: error in service module

So I can confirm the problem!

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/