Subject: Re: Amiga hardware issues
To: admin@datazap.net <admin@agnus.datazap.net>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/21/2006 11:29:51
Hi,

> I just wanted to let you know that I have 2 - 250 gig hard drives in my
> 2000 and I would like to put in ones that are larger. There is no problem
> with large hard drives in Amiga's running NetBSD. So, a 30 gig hard is not
> a big deal.

With SCSI, you can use drives which are up to 2 terabytes in size, so this
is no problem. However...

>> 1. Will my 30 gb IDE drive (or larger) will be fully supported ? In
>> Linux I partitioned it successfully, but in AmigaOS I've got weird
>> sizes of my HDD. I 'm confused, because install guide talks about
>> partitioning in AmigaOS, so I can't access whole 30 gb in Amiga OS =(.

IDE on the Amiga doesn't support LBA-48, so it will only directly support
drives up to 128 gigs. If you get a nice 160 gig hard drive (which is
around 149 gigs of 2^30 bytes), you'll get to use a full 128 gigs (of 2^30
bytes). A 120 gig drive typically gives you 110 real gigs.

>> 3. Is there any performance boost on NetBSD in comparison to m68k
>> Linux ? I have a 68030 board with 32 mb fast ram. Will it be enough to
>> run complicated python scripts or something like BitTorrent on NetBSD

Since they both use gcc, I bet the performance differences are not huge.
So what you're used to now with regards to speed should be close to what
you'll get with NetBSD.

>> 4. Is AGA PAL or NTSC modes are available ? In linux I use SSH to
>> manage system, but on install process I used just TV (monitor is not
>> available)

If you remove the -A option with the bootblocks,
then the system will default to 15 kHz modes.

John
--
As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
atrocities.  -Voltaire