Subject: Re: reviving /etc/disktab?
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/09/2006 20:32:08
--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 05:44:55PM +0100, Aymeric Vincent wrote:
> in order to be able to mount (r/o) an Amiga floppy disk through a
> vnconfig + mount_ados, you need to get the geometry and the
> bsize,fsize,cpg values right because this information is used to
> locate the root block of the disk.
>=20
> This has to be provided in a disktab(5) file.
>=20
> Would there be interest in reviving /etc/disktab? I think it's nice to
> have it common to all platforms, but it's a pity that it's empty.

It's not empty - it contains entry for 3.5" floppy :)
=20
> Would anyone object if I added the entries I want for the Amiga floppy
> disks to it? This would mean that other people are likely to follow
> this.
>=20
> With the name changed to something sensible (amigaddfloppy for
> example), here is an entry that would be nice to have.
>=20
> amflop:Amiga Double Density Floppy:\
> 	:ty=3Dfloppy:se#512:nt#2:rm#300:ns#11:nc#80:\
> 	:pa#1760:oa#0:ba#512:fa#512:ta=3DADOS:\
> 	:pb#1760:ob#0:\
> 	:pc#1760:oc#0:

Generally, adding the entry to /usr/share/examples/disktab/disktab
would be much preferred. mount_ados(8) could contain a reference
to that file for people who want to mount the floppies.

Optionally, we might change getdiskbyname(3) too look into
the example disktab when an entry is not found in /etc/disktab.
This would actually be the best option IMHO.

Jaromir
--=20
-=3D- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=3D-
-=3D- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=3D-

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC--