Subject: Re: Hello & Recommendations please?
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: David Aiau <r2yum4u@es.co.nz>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/08/2005 01:58:06
Hello Gunther

On  7/11/2005, you wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 08:02:56PM +1200, David Aiau wrote:
>> 1st partition: vol name root: size 3 gig
>
>  Thats much to much. I believe the size of my root partition is 128MB.

 given some of the partitions are too big but I just wanted to cut up the
 spare 40 gig hd... so wanted to do like a 4 gig for instance but retain
 the scaled ratio kind of thing, see?

 and after some thought to make it quicker I might just use the 4.3g UW scsi
 on the cybppc.device...

 so with some fast calculations I should carve my 4.3g into...

 root  128 meg
 swap  256 meg
 var   768 meg
 usr  1024 meg
 home 2176 meg

 I'm still curious why we need a swap at all... if systems with low memory
 can operate why can't lots of ram do without altogether...

 I suppose it's just the way unix operates :)

 and hey, do I need all these partitions? and why are the main differences
 between tree setup from gg and unix if you have a spare moment...

 I'm still going to install everything manually if I can until I get a feel
 for the system as in installation of packages etc... so if I install another
 package from development for example I should put it into usr? and when I
 compile something like dvdtools I should put that in home right? heh...

>> 2nd partition: vol name swap: size 1 gig <-- remain in first 4 gig right?

>  swap and root must be within the first 4GB to be able to boot from these
>  partitions with the bootblocks. If you use loadbsd then it doesn't matter
>  where the partitions are located.
>  And the size for swap is probably to large. For 128MB RAM I use a 256
>  MB swap partition.

 I think I'd prefer to have it just boot into it... forget the need for AmigaOS
 so I'll keep them as the first two partitions, easily within 4 gig now since
 I'll use a smaller hd...

>> 3rd partition: vol name  var: size 5 gig

>  Probably also to much.

>> 4th partition: vol name  usr: size 20 gig?

>  How much stuff are you going to install to /usr?

 I really don't know, all the development stuff? all I've got to go on is what
 gg is like...

>> 5th partition: vol name local:size rest of 40 gig?

>  Make this a large home

 see, we make a large home but in gg I didn't even use home... I need to do some
 serious unix reading :)

>> and does it matter what I set for buffers most partitions as they are now
>> have 1024k

>  DOS buffers only have meaning for AmigaOS. Set them to 0 and disable
>  automount. You can't access NetBSD partitions behind the 4GB limit
>  from AmigaOS anyway.

 that's weird since I have 60 and 120 g harddrives in my Amigas...
 but that is no problem anyway I will of course do as stated...

>> later once I become familiar I will look at the PPC if practical...
>> i.e. depends where the development of it is...

>  I have no idea if te PPC port is usable

 yes, I can't seem to find any binary yet there is an entire compiled package
 setup for it... doesn't matter anyway... I'll just get through the m68k hurdle
 first...

>> btw, there is no 2.1 package release of files? is 2.02 the latest? thanks

>  2.0 packages should work for 2.1.

 that's another thing, the highest package tree I could find is 1.6.2 and I
 downloaded this months ago... which is quite nice actually since all I had
 to download was the 2.1 release and I'm ready to go...

 if you know where to go to get 2.0 please let me know :) and I'm talking
 about the one thousand odd precompiled packages etc... not the binaries...

thanks Gunther, great to hear a wise voice again :)

and you been on holiday? ya missed a mail of mine...

Regards
--
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in 'Lord of the Rings'~