Subject: A2500/Merlin is missing font when booting 2.0.2
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank Wille <frank@phoenix.owl.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/10/2005 20:28:51
Hi!

Just for fun I tried to boot the NetBSD 2.0.2 kernel on an extremely low-end
machine, like an old A2500 which I found. The specs:

Commodore A2620 (020+851+881), 14 MHz
1 MB Chip-RAM, 4 MB Fast-RAM
Xpert Merlin graphics board, 2 MB
Individual Computers Buddha IDE Controller

I know that it will be hard to run NetBSD with 4MB, and I also realized that
the Buddha is not supported, but I was surprised that there was no visible
output on the Merlin display when booting the install-kernel. I used NetBSD
1.4.x or 1.5.x on an A4000 with Merlin some years ago, so I was quite sure
that this graphics board should work fine.

The usual Cirrus/Tseng blue-gray screen opens and there is even the word
"TSENG" in the upper right corner of the screen. Then I see the cursor
wandering down some lines as if output is generated, but it is invisible!
Then the cursor stops, probably asking for the root device, happily
blinking.

I can also type something, but nothing appears. Just the cursor is moving.

Anybody else with Merlin problems? Or is this phenomenon limited to Zorro2?
On my A4000 the Merlin ran in Z3-mode, of course...

--
    _  Frank Wille (frank@phoenix.owl.de)
 _ //  http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/