Subject: Re: someone to install netbsd for 68k amiga on a hardisk for me ?
To: S.P.Zeidler <spz@serpens.de>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/11/2005 09:55:05
>> I suggest sticking with 1.6.2 unless you have very good reason to install
>> 2.0... NetBSD 2 have ugly kernel leak on m68k, so your machine will crash
>> in few days (btw. maybe someone knows... is it fixed in -current?).
>
> 100# uptime
> 5:43PM  up 16 days,  3:01, 19 users, load averages: 2.01, 2.62, 2.68
> 101# uname -a
> NetBSD serpens.de 2.0.2_STABLE NetBSD 2.0.2_STABLE (SERPENS) #0: Fri Jul 8 08:34:14 CEST 2005 spz@aquila:/home/netbsd/obj.amiga/sys/arch/amiga/compile/SERPENS amiga
>
> Last reboot was due to a change of rack, so no fault of the OS, and
> previously it had been up longer. If serpens manages to stay up, the
> system is in a not too shabby condition. :-P

What's your system show in terms of kernel memory use? Are you doing
anything with it, like compiling or lots of web serving? If it's just
idle, it'll probably stay up indefinitely, but the problem is that if you
use it, the memory leak in the kernel will keep eating more and more
memory until you eventually crash.

Now, if someone running something new says that their kernel memory is NOT
increasing after x days doing lots of stuff, then I'd be VERY interested
in trying 2 or current again.

John