Re: Preparing for the amiga port

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 11:13:17AM +0100, Florian Stoehr wrote:

But: On the HD in that machine, there is the "hdtoolbox", but I have NO
installation disks for Amiga OS -> so if I install NetBSD, there won't be
any hdtoolbox anymore.

The wise move would be to get a 2nd disk...

Is there any way to bootstrap an entirely empty (new) disk for
NetBSD/amiga WITHOUT Amiga OS? Is it ust the disk format / some tables
(corresponding to what is the MBR no i386) or what is it?

Unfortunately, we don't have a program --- or disklabel routines --- to write
the "RDB" format used for describing the partitions on Amiga disks
from within NetBSD. (Yes, we should have.)

seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/

Hi,

I think I'll write one - well, *IF* I can collect all information. For me, something that creates a binary file one can write to the HD (plugged into IDE on another machine) via "dd" would be enough - but perhaps this *COULD* make a move into sysinst someday (there's no sysinst-install for amiga yet afaik?).

Well, my problem is, I found information about the RDB structure, but it contins various checksums and I have no information about the algorithms used for the sums (well, not really googled much so far).

All I found so far is http://amiga.emugaming.com/adfaq.html#p6

If someone can point me to further information, this RDB-tool might become reality sooner.

Any info appreciated...
-Florian