Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 Amiga
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.dez.vier@onlinehome.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/23/2004 17:54:38
Erik van Roode wrote:

>   I'm completely stuck when trying to install 1.6.x, and I suspect
> I would hit the exact same problems when trying 2.0, so before I try,
> here is my story:
>=20
> I get the system to boot from the swap partition with runbootblock, but t=
hen
> I get stuck because I simply cannot read the text. I have a CV64/3D graph=
ics
> card, but the installer uses the Amiga graphics, which I can't display.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I assume you put the miniroot filesystem onto your swap partition? When
you boot from this partition, there is indeed a short timespan when the
native display is used. The loader asks for some boot option and
continues after a timeout if you do not enter anything.

After that, NetBSD has always used a screen on my CV64, recognizable by
the colored characters "CV64" in the upper right corner.
=46rom your description I take it, that you do _not_ get this screen on
your CV64/3D?

> - I do not have a 15kHz display
>=20
> - Hooking up a video camera with a 3" screen is good enough to aim the mo=
use
> pointer to the requesters that pop up when a FFS partition needs to be=20
> validated, but reading text is impossible
>=20
> - Hooking up to a TV was somewhat better, I can actually distinguish line=
s,=20
> but the text itself is still unreadable. If I had more experience I proba=
bly=20
> could kinda guess what was being displayed, and what  need to enter, but
> this is still completely new to me.

See above. There is something strange happening if NetBSD does not use
your graphics card.

> Do I need to build a custom installation system? Is this something a comp=
lete=20
> beginner to installing BSD has any chance of doing? Has anyone done this?
> I do not have a functional NetBSD system available.

I have not used a serial console on an Amiga but it should be possible,

ciao
     Klaus