Re: procfs_machdep hack (LONG)

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 08:51:30PM +0100, Radek Kujawa wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, John Klos wrote:

> > Does this imply that you've
> > gotten m68k Linux stuff working on your system?
> Not really ;).

I want to mention that last time the problem of making Linux-m68k emulation
work on NetBSD/m68k, it was concluded that this can't be done (easily).
The reason was that NetBSD/m68k, at least on Amiga, Atari and a few others,
uses 8 kBytes page sizes, while Linux/m68k uses 4 kB page sizes, so that
some Linux binary segment boundaries are misaligned wrt. NetBSD page
boundaries. (Note that all this is from memory, so some details might be
wrong.)

> I'm thinking about it for some time, but my efforts are
> blocked by lack of fast m68k hardware. On 030 everything is painfully
> slow.

Now come on. I've bootstrapped the 68060 / DraCo port on an Amiga 3000
with 16 MB of memory --- at least compiling 1 MB binaries shouldn't take
more than 3 hours when starting from scratch, and a few minutes when only
changing single source files...

> Also, I don't know if there are any interesting apps available for
> Linux/m68k, that aren't available for NetBSD. So I have no motivation ;).

This is probably correct. SVR4/m68k might be more interesting, as there
could have been a few commercial programs for AMIX.

seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/