Subject: Re: kernel compile and mk.conf
To: Emm Vasilakis <evas@agn.forthnet.gr>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/14/2003 21:00:47
--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

Geia sou Manoli,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:31:34PM +0300, Emm Vasilakis wrote:

> I've created an /etc/mk.conf file and have the following lines:
>=20
> M68040=3DYES
> COPTS+=3D-O2
> CFLAGS+=3D-m68040
>=20
> I would expect to have a -m68040 parameter in cc, but I'm watching it
> compile my kernel with:
>=20
> cc -m68040 -m68060 -m68030 -m68851 (it also has -msoft-float on some
> files)
>=20
> which seems strange.
>=20
> Does make override the settings in mk.conf, doesnt it work for kernel
> compiles, or am I missing something else here? Is it that the +=3D just
> adds the setting to the defaults?

thats correct, but...=20

> What is the best CFLAGS and COPTS parameters I should have for a 040
> system?

Don't touch them directly in mk.conf. If you want them there for pkgsrc
builds (and you still might get problems for some packages...), put them
inside a #ifdef that will hide them from the kernel compilation.

Instead, use

options M68040
options FPSP

in your kernel configuration file.

This should also switch on allowed optimizations.=20
Everything else will create desaster - e.g., all the kernel must be
compiled with -msoft-float, as we don't keep a seperate FPU state for
the kernel!

Regards,
	Ignatios

--=20