Subject: Re: PR/22140
To: Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/29/2003 15:39:59
Hi,

> Any comments on this pr? When working on kernel_reload I noticed that this
> function disables DMA before copying into chipmem. doboot() doesn't disables
> DMA. Is that a bug?

Unfortunately, all three of my Amigas are in use (two are colocated, one
is in the middle of a bulk package build update).

Is anyone out there willing to try out these changes to make sure they
work on other systems, too?

Regarding disabling DMA before copying, is this because /dev/reload
assumes that DMA from some device or another might write to some location
inside the kernel code? If it no longer depends on chipmem, then I can't
see that being a concern any longer. But how long does it take for the
reloaded kernel to start initialising hardware? Maybe there's another
reason for it.

I'll have to set up a test Amiga sometime...

Thanks!
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs