Subject: Re: amidisplay: not a console?
To: Jukka Andberg <jandberg@NetBSD.org>
From: Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/23/2003 11:32:21
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 06:39:59PM +0300, Jukka Andberg wrote:
> The wscons 'screen types' are just names, they can be anything.
> Originally I had named the screen types as 'width x height x depth', but
> later changed to the 'cols x rows' format for uniformity with the vga
> driver. The old screen types are still present in the source but they're
> not documented in the manpage.

  Thanks for this explanation.

> So, the supported screen types are '80x50', '80x40', '80x25' and '80x24'.

  There is small typo in the last two 640x200 types - the depth in the name
  is wrong.

> >   *g* I needed the bar (|) and apparently the key was dead and I found the
> >   key at its german PC location. I don't understand why its there since the
> >   german keys are based on the US-Amiga entry. With the US-Amiga encoding
> >   the bar key works (and the bar is at a different location on a real
> >   english PC keyboard) Strange.
>
> So the keymap is wrong?

  Yes.

> Quite possible, since I use a PC keyboard with my Amiga and the adapter
> might map some keys oddly.

  I don't think the adapter is at fault. I mean the layout of a PC keyboard
  is different and you as user expect to get the right key if you press the
  key with that symbol on your keyboard.

> And of course I have never seen a german keyboard...

  Oops, I didn't think that wskbdmap_amiga.c would be wrong. I somehow
  believed that the definitions are correct, oops. I probably thought
  only correct stuff is checked in ;-)

> You can find the keymaps in wskbdmap_amiga.c. Please post any corrections
> you might come up with.

  On which documentation/knowledge are the non-us entries based? At least
  KC(16,48) entry in amikbd_keydesc_de are wrong. Now that I realized that
  the amikbd_keydesc_de is wrong I can probably correct it :-)

  Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinsky