Re: amidisplay: not a console?

It is told that on Jul 22, "Gunther Nikl" wrote thus:

>   Why is there an entry for an wscons screen in /etc/ttys for ttyE0? Would
>   enabling that one conflict with the console? I guess so, I did only enable
>   screen 1, 2 and 3.

Yes, it would conflict. I tried it and got two logins and shells on the
same screen, it wasn't very useful.

But console and ttyE0 are not always the same thing. Console could be
serial port for example.

>   I am still a little bit confused about the resolution. Some entries are in
>   rows/line and some in pixel sizes. And then there is no way to query the

The wscons 'screen types' are just names, they can be anything.
Originally I had named the screen types as 'width x height x depth', but
later changed to the 'cols x rows' format for uniformity with the vga
driver. The old screen types are still present in the source but they're
not documented in the manpage.

So, the supported screen types are '80x50', '80x40', '80x25' and '80x24'.

>   display for the supported sizes but apparently thats a wscons limitation.

Yes.

>   I have an A4k with AGA. I thought I would only need GRF_AGA if I wanted
>   real AGA screens but without GRF_AGA the display isn't initialized
>   correctly. Is that a bug?

So far I haven't run into the documentation for those options, so no idea.

>   *g* I needed the bar (|) and apparently the key was dead and I found the
>   key at its german PC location. I don't understand why its there since the
>   german keys are based on the US-Amiga entry. With the US-Amiga encoding
>   the bar key works (and the bar is at a different location on a real
>   english PC keyboard) Strange.

So the keymap is wrong? Quite possible, since I use a PC keyboard with my
Amiga and the adapter might map some keys oddly. And of course I have
never seen a german keyboard...

You can find the keymaps in wskbdmap_amiga.c. Please post any corrections
you might come up with.