Subject: Re: 1.6 and /dev/reload
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/04/2003 12:01:10
Hello,

> the kernels have to be sufficiently similar (at least for the old
> implementation [of /dev/reload]) to work.

  Now I know what "sufficiently similiar" means: the reload code in the new
  kernel must _exactly_ match the version in the running kernel and it must
  be at _exactly_ the same location as in the running kernel because after
  the MMU is turned off reloading continues at the same PC but now in
  chipmem... Apparently, doreboot() works the same way.
  Question: Would it be feasible to copy the current reload code only into
  chipmem and from there copy the new kernel at its fastmem destination?
  This would require to get the real address for the new kernel image. How
  can this be accomplished?

  Gunther