AW: Problems with NetBSD 1.6 on an A3000 w/ 040 MKII

Hi Emmanuel,

> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed a cysberstorm MKII 040 accelerator on my
A3000D.
> Since then, my Amiga behaves strangly. On the AmigaOS side, I get
random
> crashes (8000 0000x) or lockups, even though I have installed the
latest
> 68040.library from phase5.

Has the CPU on the MK2 just a Heatsink or is there also a van? If there is
only a heatsink, its highly recommended to also add a van on the
heatsink.
The 68040.library has nothing to do with the NetBSD side. As both sides
crash, its more likely that you have a hardware problem.
As you said that the first time you booted NetBSD (where the amiga was
probably still cold) it worked it looks like a thermal problem, as
ignatios already mentioned.
Does the air comming out at the rear van of the power supply of your A3kD
feel much warmer that without the MK2? The A3kD and and A4kD are quite
likely to get heat problems.
You should also check, which firmware version the flash-rom of the mk2
contains. If its an older version it may be helpful to update it.
IIRC, the p5 68040.library is just a dummy that needs the original
68040.library from C= which was AFAIK part of the WB3.x.
So it is required to install the C= 68040.library. The P5 68040 dummy
library doesn't need to be installed, it only calls the C= one..

> On the NetBSD side, my fine 1.6 installation (at least it was when I
was
> using the on-board 030), refuses to boot.
> It did boot once (the first time I tried), got to a login prompt, got
> a bash prompt, but then the machine froze when I tried to startx. It
did
> manage to change the screen res, though.

Are you sure that all of your NetBSD binaries also contain 040 code?

> Now, I cant even get to a login prompt. The boot process dumps me to
the
> debugger, just after the "motd" load, warning me that sh has issued a
> free() in a wrong page. I'm not in front of my Amiga atm, so I cant
give
> more precise debug messages.
> Anyway, does anyone know why this has occured? I'm suspecting my ram
> simms. There are 4 on the cyberstorm, of various capacities, giving a
> total of 48MB. There are also 16 more MB on the motherboard, via an
> AmiFAST board.

Aeh, IMHO you should install the 4 largest simms you own on the MK2.
The MK2 doesnt care about simm sizes at least if they are between 4-32MB
per simm. Note that those must be capable of running at 70ns speed which
is only used by the MK2.
60ns simms work perfectly here (with 70ns timing), but if yours are edo
there may occur problems.
Are you sure that your simms are ok and that they and the cpu board dont
have oxided contacts? It may help to clean them with a propper
ant-oxide-spray from an electrician.
As Ignatios mentioned, it may not be wise to mix with Zx RAM. And such a
RAM Board heats up the Desktop, too. So you should try without it.

> Does anyone has any suggestions on what could be wrong with my setup?
> Thanks,
> Emmanuel Vasilakis

Ciao

Martin