Subject: Re: LoadBSD for ELF kernels
To: port-amiga <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/16/2002 16:57:41
On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:23:49PM +0200, Frank Wille wrote:
> John Klos wrote:
>
> > > where can I find an AmigaOS LoadBSD binary which can load ELF kernels?
> >
> > I never found LoadBSD nor GoBSD for ELF. If there is something that
> > works, I'd like to know about it.
>
> There was a simple loadbsd program with ELF support for
> NetBSD/amigappc. Could be used as a start.

  I didn't found that one.

> It's not too difficult to load ELF PHDR sections into memory.

  Since you insisted writing an ELF loader isn't too difficult, I invested
  some time to explore this area using the vlink sources as a start ;-)
  After reading the FreeBSD manpage about elf, the vlink elf32 headers and
  the NetBSD loadfile sources, I was able to write some code that can parse
  and load an ELF kernel. However, there seems to be a problem: I could only
  boot the 1.6 ELF kernels into NetBSD without SetPatch beeing run. AFAIK,
  this is different to earlier releases of NetBSD/amiga that required SetPatch
  because of the 68060 (I know that the kernel can detect a 060 itself now).
  I can boot NetBSD with a private 1.5 kernel with SetPatch executed. I diffed
  locore from 1.5 and 1.6 but it seems to me that there isn't a change that
  could be the reason for the 1.6 kernel not liking SetPatch. I am going to
  check this issue after I installed 1.6 some day...

  Before I try to integrate my code into loadbsd, I would like to know who
  much interest in such a loadbsd exists.

  Regards,
  Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinsky