Subject: Re: booting problem
To: Emm Vasilakis <evas@agn.forthnet.gr>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/11/2002 16:24:35
--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

Geia,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 04:45:39PM +0200, Emm Vasilakis wrote:

> yesterday I got NEtBSD 1.6 on my A3k. Did the install perfectly, but I
> opted out when the procedure asked me if I wanted the bootblock on my
> root device

Hm. Obviously, we shouldn't ask for this anymore... sorry. See below.
=20
> (somehow I though it would install it into my MBR).=20

Err, on the RDB? (MBR is the equivalent, but less powerfull PC structure).
No, it doesn't. Currently, it even doesn't set the necessary bits to really
use the bootblock... to be done.

> issuing a loadbsd -b kerner-GENERIC (the one found in my
> binary/sets/kernel.tgz), results in a "unkown binary" error.
>=20
> Anyone knows what's wrong and how can I boot bsd?

Not at all. Loadbsd can't boot ELF binaries and isn't supported anymore.

There is a replacement that can boot bootblocks... but they have to be
already on the target partition, so this doens't help for your situation.

Easy way out:

1. install the miniroot on the swap partition again.
2. boot the miniroot, but adding the "-bs" flag.

you will be asked for the root partition. tell it "sd0a" (or wherever your
NetBSD root is...)

voila, you're on your system, although in single user mode.

Now you can do=20

# mount /usr
# /usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/xxboot /dev/rsd0a

(still assuming sd0 is your root disk)

After that, you should be able to directly boot via the boot menu (if you
marked the partition as bootable as described in "installboot(8)".

[1] For those that don't recognize the notation, that's what you read
when you start "man 8 installboot".

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q--