Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 hidden swap partition problem at install
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.nov.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/04/2002 01:58:11
Nicolas Bruno BASTIEN wrote:
> axxter axxter wrote:

> > My problem is: only the partitions with a valid "Amiga family" ID are
> > visible onto the Control Active Devices list (i.e. FFS, PFS...)
> > None of the partitions prepared on the scsi disk for NetBSD are visible
> > (and selectable) from the device list !
> > Thus, I can't boot from the swap partition, nor install NetBSD...

This is really unusual behaviour. I guess there is something wrong on
the Amiga side of things. At this point, NetBSD hasn't had the chance
to cause a problem.

If a partition is marked as automount/bootable it should appear in the
boot menu, independent of the id it has. Did you check for SCSI/cable
problems? Maybe the disk is the last in the SCSI chain and the
disk before it has the flag 'last unit' set in its RDB?

Did you try the program 'runbootblock' from the directory
'installation/misc'? Its accompanying README file mentions strange
behaviour of Amiga SCSI devices, but only for the Zeus and GVP
Gforce-040 accelerator/SCSI-adapter. I have not heard of such problems
with cyberscsi.device.

> the solution to this problem is to put bffs on your rdb
> you can do this by adding a filesytem with HDToolBox like
> you would add pfs or something else

If it only works with bffs, then the scsi device (software) on the Amiga
side is broken (see runbootblock.README).

ciao
     Klaus