Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6 hidden swap partition problem at install
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Nicolas Bruno BASTIEN <lakomok@free.fr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/04/2002 00:39:37
axxter axxter wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> I've tried to install NetBSD (for the first time) on my 4000 (CSMKII, 060, scsi, CV64) with no success.
>
> I prepared a whole scsi disk as recommended by the installation guide (4 partitions, with the correct ID's, etc...).
> I transfered the miniroot.fs onto the swap partition with the xstreamtodev AmigaDOS command.
>
> Then, the installation guide ask me to select the swap partition (automount on, bootable on) from the Amiga Early Startup Control panel as Boot Device to boot from it.
>
> My problem is: only the partitions with a valid "Amiga family" ID are visible onto the Control Active Devices list (i.e. FFS, PFS...)
> None of the partitions prepared on the scsi disk for NetBSD are visible (and selectable) from the device list !
> Thus, I can't boot from the swap partition, nor install NetBSD...
>
> Where am I missing the point ?
> What did I wrong ?
>
>     Thanks alot for any help.
>

> Sincerely,
> Michel Bach

It is strange that it happened with an A4000
I know this problem on A2000 because these one
can't handle bffs (Berkeley Fast File System which
is the NetBSD filesystem) without a filesystem installed
on rdb

anyway

the solution to this problem is to put bffs on your rdb
you can do this by adding a filesytem with HDToolBox like
you would add pfs or something else

how to get this filesytem, go on google and look for
amiga bffs, and after that (I am not 100% sure) pick
something like bffs 1.4 readonly (read/write one is buggy)

and once this filesystem installed on your rdb, you will
be able to see your NetBSD partition in the early startup
--
Nicolas Bruno BASTIEN