Re: NetBSD/amiga under emulation

[ball%roam.eiu-newman.org@localhost wrote in newsgate.netbsd.ports.amiga]
 > UAE is next on my list to try.  Currently it's running on
 > WinUAE for reasons that involve a broken arm, a 7.6cm
 > laceration to the side of my head and an X server that
 > refuses to yield anything deeper than 8-bit colour on my
 > laptop.

At some point, I may ask what happened :)

 > On the Amiga side I'm trying some software that is usually
 > used to drive graphics cards in physical Amigas.  One of its
 > excellent features is support for UAE modes, where most of
 > the graphics work is done in native code on the host.  It's
 > so fast that it's easy to forget that the machine you are
 > using is emulated.  I'm hopeful that the X version provides
 > the same capability.

The Picasso96 emulation? Yes, the X version offers it. Remember WinUAE is
derived from UAE source.

 > As for booting NetBSD/amiga on the emulated machine: I may
 > need something that turns dd style diskette images into ADF
 > images that the emulator can boot.  Perhaps there's some
 > Amiga equivalent to DOSBOOT though, which I usually use to
 > start a NetBSD/i386 installation.

That's an interesting point. NetBSD on the Amiga uses loadbsd. You'd have to
install Workbench or use some form of bootdisk with shell and loadbsd in
order to start the kernel.

Checking the UAE homepage, it says it had '040 emulation these days. That's
quite impressive.

--
rob                                 <e> rob%impure.org.uk@localhost <pgp>
0x8bb5c71e