Subject: NetBSD/amiga under emulation
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: None <ball@roam.eiu-newman.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/17/2002 16:27:15
Hello Rob,

  RA> I must admit to being very intruiged by this emulator
    > - what's it called? If you say "uae", I'll be
    > impressed!

UAE is next on my list to try.  Currently it's running on
WinUAE for reasons that involve a broken arm, a 7.6cm
laceration to the side of my head and an X server that
refuses to yield anything deeper than 8-bit colour on my
laptop.

On the Amiga side I'm trying some software that is usually
used to drive graphics cards in physical Amigas.  One of its
excellent features is support for UAE modes, where most of
the graphics work is done in native code on the host.  It's
so fast that it's easy to forget that the machine you are
using is emulated.  I'm hopeful that the X version provides
the same capability.

As for booting NetBSD/amiga on the emulated machine: I may
need something that turns dd style diskette images into ADF
images that the emulator can boot.  Perhaps there's some
Amiga equivalent to DOSBOOT though, which I usually use to
start a NetBSD/i386 installation.

Regards,
  - Andy Ball.