Subject: Re: mounting the root fs
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Emm Vasilakis <evas@agn.forthnet.gr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/28/2002 19:01:51
Hi Klaus,

>> I'm using an old bsd distribution (I think it's 1.2 or something), my
3k has

>I would recommend a more modern NetBSD version like 1.5.2.

I'll try and grab it...

> a 040. The hard disk is a 4.3 G which is recognised when bsd boots.
The root
> partition though, and the swap are above the 4G limit. Could this have
> anything to do with my problem?

>The BootROM on your A3000 cannot boot from partitions over the 4GB
>boundary.
>As you do _not_ boot from the root partition but use loadbsd I don't
>know why
>the loaded kernel could not find those partitions. Did you use the
>correct
>DosType (0x4e425207 for root and 0x4e425301 for swap) ?

>Now that I think about this: How did you create the partitions? I guess
>with
>AmigaOS. How did you overcome the 4GB limit under AmigaOS?

I'm using OS3.9 which patches the rom to support partitions over the 4G
limit. The miniroot.fs is succesfully copied to the swap partition,
which is well beyond the 4G.

>If you want to install 1.5.2, you will have to create root and swap
>partitions below that boundary because you have to boot the miniroot on
>swap
>and later the installed system from the root partition.

btw, linux did not have any problem installing on the same partitions.

Regards,
Emmanuel

PS
Sorry for posting the previous message twice.