Subject: Re: Mounting the root fs
To: NetBSD/Amiga <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.mai.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/28/2002 16:28:52
Emmanouel Vasilakis wrote:

> I'm using an old bsd distribution (I think it's 1.2 or something), my 3k has

I would recommend a more modern NetBSD version like 1.5.2.

> a 040. The hard disk is a 4.3 G which is recognised when bsd boots. The root
> partition though, and the swap are above the 4G limit. Could this have
> anything to do with my problem?

The BootROM on your A3000 cannot boot from partitions over the 4GB boundary.
As you do _not_ boot from the root partition but use loadbsd I don't know why
the loaded kernel could not find those partitions. Did you use the correct
DosType (0x4e425207 for root and 0x4e425301 for swap) ?

Now that I think about this: How did you create the partitions? I guess with
AmigaOS. How did you overcome the 4GB limit under AmigaOS?

If you want to install 1.5.2, you will have to create root and swap
partitions below that boundary because you have to boot the miniroot on swap
and later the installed system from the root partition.

ciao
     Klaus