Subject: Re: Need help - lost access to my NetBSD partitions
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/30/2002 20:53:42
--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 02:22:48PM +0000, Lars Hecking wrote:
>=20
>  A3000 with CS MkIII, Quantum Viking II 4.5GB at SCSI id 8; Kick ROM 3.1

>  I wanted to prepare another large partition for NetBSD as scratch
>  area, and used the AmigaOS scsiconfig tool that came with the CS
>  to set it up.
>=20
>  After that, I couldn't boot NetBSD anymore from the bootblock, it looks
>  like scsiconfig has f!cked up the RDB.

You're talking about the scsi configuration tool distributed with=20
Phase5's CS MkIII (and PPC) boards?

There's a simple reason: scsiconfig _always_ disables any installed
bootblocks[1]. After doing any change to the RDB with scsiconfig, use
OS3.9 Hdtoolbox to set the "custom boot code" flag again, and you should
be ok.

(maybe even older HDTOOLBOX works to this extent, but be sure to do NO OTHER
CHANGE to the disk with old HDTOOLBOX.)

[1] The reason is that Phase5 decided, in a somewhat paranoic attempt to=20
protect you from "bootblock" viruses, to hinder their use as much as
possible. Fortunately for NetBSD, they couldn't, or at least didn't, disable
bootblock use itself, only prevent its setup with their tool.

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--