Subject: Re: Savecore problems ?
To: Thomas-Peter Klug <thomas-peter.klug@db.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/15/2001 22:35:52
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:56:51AM +0100, Thomas-Peter Klug wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Another question relation to NetBSD installed on my A4000D 68040/40 with IDE.
> The setup went smoothly and the system is running and therefore stable.
> For the setup I was using a different partition for SWAP (sd1b) than now for normal use (sd0b).
> I changed "fstab" accordingly to use sd0b instead of sd1b of swap-volume, and it is accepted as far as I can see.
> But:
> While booting and executing "rc.d" a message about "savecore" shows up and claims about a not configured sd1b, which is correct in that way, that device/partition sd1b is no longer in the system.
> I've tried to find a link or an entry of sd1b in "rc.d" but failed to find it.
>
> Any suggestions ?

I refreshed my memory with browsing the source - as far as I understand,
a generic kernel will want to dump onto partition b of the same device where
root is on. I suspect that savecore uses the same device (read out of the
kernel) to find the dump.

So, unless you create a kernel with explicitly set dump device, or set
the dump device using swapctl before savecore is running[1], it will try to
use that.

[1] I'm not sure 1.5.x has this feature.