Re: just upgraded to 1.5.1

>I just upgraded to 1.5.1 from 1.4.3. I
>have .been having some problems.

>First of all I could not build the source tree,
>the system would crash. I
>thought that the system would never crash,
>that I would get a kernel panic
>and it would then put me into the debugger.
>But that is not what has been
>happening. The system stop responding,
>and if I let it set there for
>some time get a black screen. I updated the
>source tree with sup and this
>seemed to fix the problem, but I am still not
>sure.

>After that I thought that it was a problem
>with the source, but I then
>tried to run crashme. It crashed within a
>couple of minutes, not a kernel
>panic, a crash. There seems to be no
>solution to this problem.

>I have also been having problems with the
>ethernet card. I seem to get a
>lot of errors when I try to use. It seem to be
>the worst when I try to use
>ftp. Yet I have both thttpd and Apache run
>on this system and I don't seem
>to get an error when someone access a
>page. Plus transfer rates have really gone
>down.

>I have tryed several kernels, including the
>GENERIC kernel, and I even
>build one making sure that the debugger
>was NOT commented out. Yet it
>still doesn't kernel panic just crash. It
>maybe that when the computer is
>under a heavy load( like compiling), and
>someone uses ftp or access a web
>page that the server then crashes. Is
>anyone else having these problems?
>Can someone tell me how to fix them?

>I upgraded to 1.5.1 to avoid kernel panics,
>but I an serously thinking
>about going back to 1.4.3.
I read this email, and it seems to me that you are having lots of problems with 1.5.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

1. Where you having any problems with 1.4?

2. Did you upgrade to 1.5 using the upgrade option in the installer?

3. If you are having so may problem why not just go back to 1.4.3?

Regard,

Ike