Re: Softdep on Amiga

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, John Klos wrote:

> If you have the time and energy, could you please try this? Add two lines
> to your kernel config file:
>
> options         NKMEMPAGES_MIN=8192
> options         NKMEMPAGES_MAX=8192
>
> The numbers should correspond to 32 times the amount of physical memory
> you have in megabytes. I have 256 megs in this particular machine.

Ok, I definitely test this right away. 64 megs on CSmkII board... 16 megs
on motherboard that GoBSD doesn't recognise... so I'll but there 2048.

> This is a known problem in several m68k ports; the default numbers are
> ideal for a machine with 12 megs of ram. There has been some speculation
> that softdeps take up a lot of kernel kmem pages and therefore cause
> panics on platforms where there aren't enough; it'd be great if you could
> try the same situation with a new kernel with these changes so we know for
> sure.

Sometime I saw something about uvm_xyz() related thing in trace when
kernel paniced. But usually it has been softdep_update_inodeblock() which
has caused the panic initially. Well as I said, I will check this out as
soon as possible.

OK, here is my plan: I enable softdep and crash system by extracting
pkgsrc.tar.gz to /usr. Get that DDB output for Chuck Silvers and reboot (I
can't get core dump because DDB crashes while doing 'sync'). Wait (forever
- 1) until fsck is ready. Compile same kernel with those options on. Boot
and try to crash it again while trying extract pkgsrc.tar.gz. Report back
here.

Petri