Subject: Re: /netbsd: ser0: silo overflow
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/29/2001 21:18:52
On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:05:57PM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> Done!
>
> Test 1:
>
>     #options    SERIBUF_SIZE=4046
>     #options    LEV6_DEFER
>
>     I added 'deflate 15,15' and 'bsdcomp 15,15' to
>     '/etc/ppp/options.tty00'. No result.
>
>     Provider 1 - lynx download (pkgsrc) - +50 silo errors
>     Provider 2 - gimp download (pkgsrc) - +80 silo errors
>
> >From now on, 'deflate' and 'bsdcomp' were commented out.

The idea is to have deflate and/or bsdcomp AND to reduce the serial
in/out speed (between modem and computer) to the absolute minimum that
keeps the modem busy, so as to maximize the guaranteed minimum of time
between interupts. bsdcomp/deflate ONLY won't help, as it only reduces
the average interupt frequency needed, but does not influence the minimum
time available between interupts.

Those errors don't corrupt data, but they cause a resend of a packet at the
TCP level, which reduces overall tcp throughput.