Subject: Re: ne0: error
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/20/2001 10:52:28
Quoting John (19-Apr-01 16:51:59):

>> ne0: length does not match next packet pointer
>> ne0: len ff60 nlen fe60 start 4c first 00 curr 65 next ff stop 80
>> ne0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65120
>>
>> I didn't change anything to the setup. I can't say whether ne0:
>> works properly (Ariadne II) since it's not configured yet with
>> NetBSD. With AmigaOS, it works fine!
>>
>> What's this message about?

> When the ethernet card receives data but there's no OS to listen
> (while
> (re)booting), it hangs out in the card's memory. So when the OS does
> boot, it tries to configure the card, sees that there's stuff in
> there, and gives an error.

Ok.

> The busier your LAN, the more likely you'll get these errors upon
> (re)boot. It happens to my machines all the time, including mac68k
> machines and my colocated server. This isn't a problem.

Glad to hear. Thanks for those comments!

If I understood this right, this error should only appear once after
NetBSD kernel is up (just before the user has the change to enter the
userid and password), and should never appear once the kernel is
running. On top of this, it only shows when data to the concerned NIC
is sent and buffered inside the NIC while the kernel is still down.

Correct?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@geohei.lu