Re: Offline drive?

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 11:12:41PM -0400, John wrote:
> What does it mean when a drive decides it is offline?
>
> cbiiisc0: target 1 now wide 1
> cbiiisc0: target 1 now synchronous, period=50ns, offset=16
> siopng sync: siop_sxfr 30, siop_scntl3 95
> sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <IBM, DDYS-T36950N, S93E> SCSI3 0/direct fixed
> sd1: drive offline

I see this with MO drives when no medium is in them at boot time.

> This is a new 36 gig IBM drive on an Amiga with a CyberStorm Mk III with
> wide ultra SCSI. It has been working fine for almost two months.

Wait... it has worked with NetBSD before... same version of kernel?
In this case, it looks to me like a hardware problem of some sort (read:
either the drive or its power supply are partly broken).

remote possibility:  somebody has sent a spin down command to the
drive, and it needs to long to spin up (I think the scsi disk driver
(sd) sends a spin up command to all drives it finds).