Subject: Re: Serial console support in kernel?
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/01/2001 20:23:54
On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 02:04:09PM -0400, John Klos wrote:

> Now that the A2232 works, I'd like to know how to configure a kernel to
> use the serial for the initial console.
>
> I understand that the ite corresponds to the grf, and the grf to the
> grf??... if I want to use the internal serial, can I put:
> ite0 at ser0

no.

ite is a terminal emulator for the grfs.

you give it console capability by the corresponding options GRFxxCONSOLE
line, which will make it participate in the choosing of one console candidate
between the different ite's.

the serial can always be a console (and, in fact, _will_ for a short time
during the decision process). To make it win, add

options SERCONSOLE=0

to the kernel configuration. Speed will be the value of the kernel variable
serdefaultrate, which is initialized to TTYDEF_SPEED at compile time, which
is 9600 bps currently. I think the format is 8n1.

But thats only the kernel initial console. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of
any trick to output the boot selector menu via the serial ;-)