Re: NetBSD-1.5 : "Virtual Memory Exhausted"

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 09:08:04AM +0100, Gunther Nikl wrote:

> > > There is a memory usage limit.  Try to 'unlimit' or even 'unlimit -h'
> > > when you are root.
> >
> > Ohh... so easy? I chose the more complicated way in this situation.
> > I compiled testimg.c with gcc under AmigaOS, then transfered the
> > object back to NetBSD and replaced the a.out id (which was Sun3?)
> > by NetBSD-68k. After that I was able to link. ;)
>
>   Replacing the a.out id isn't necessary, AFAIK. The linker used on 68k
>   should accept the Sun3 ids.

which is not necessarily the right think to do, and it might have changed
a few years ago when ld was replaced by an up-to-date ld (I don't remember
any longer).

The reason is that while the binary format and the calling convenctions
themselves are compatible, the system calls potentially used by it are not.

If you know it does not call bad syscalls, replacing the id is of an easy
thing to do.