Subject: NetBSD-1.5 : "Virtual Memory Exhausted"
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas-Peter Klug <thomas-peter.klug@db.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/08/2001 13:04:45
Happy New Year to all Amiga fans !

I recently got an annoying problem with the virtual memory (I think), l=
et me describe it to you, would you ?

My System : - A4000D hooked on Mikronik-Tower
            - CSPPC/68060/50MHz/PPC604/200MHz
            - OS3.9/PIV*Concierto*Paloma*Pablo
            - 128MB/P96v2.0
            - NetBSD-1.5 (m68k-release) on a SCSI2-drive
          -- SWAP 256 MB (NBS)
            -- ROOT 300 MB (NBR)
            -- USR  600 MB (NBU)
            -- AMG  300 MB (DOS, Amiga-partition, lastest FastFileSyste=
m)

Everything went fine while installing NetBSD-1.5 and setting up my favo=
ured flavors & colors on it.
After fiddling around with the pkg-package I've tried to compile my own=
 windowmanagers, like AfterStep, Gnome or even Enlightenment. Thanks to=
 pkgsrc.tar.gz that was no problem for AfterStep, but now I'm hanging w=
et-handed while compiling Gnome or Enlightenment.

The evil lies within... immlib. Both, Gnome and Enlightenment need this=
 package. Latest source is imlib-1.9.8.1.tar.gz.
While compiling a sourcefile "testimg.c" the compiler exits with errorm=
essage "virtual memory exhausted".
IMHO this can't really be true (the real cause iof the failure), becaus=
e observing the system with 'top' while the compilers runs shows me tha=
t SWAP has still 256 MB free, and for normal and wired memory there was=
 plenty free (more than 60 MB).
Be asured that all dependencies (all required distfiles are in /usr/pkg=
src/distfiles) were resolved.

Until now (even after compiling a kernel with only the required modules=
 for my A4000 and the 68060 with FPU) I'm not able to compile successfu=
lly imlib-1.9.8.1.

Any suggestions ?

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen,

Thomas-Peter Klug [HonestJohn]
thomas-peter.klug@db.com, thomas-peter.klug@debitel.net
A4000T/68060/50MHz/PPC604/200MHz    A3000D/68030/28MHz
- OS3.9/PIV*Concierto*Paloma*Pablo  - OS3.9/PIV
- 128MB/P96v2.0                     - 16MB/P96v2.0
<*>>>08.01.2001, 13:05:28<<<*>

Fortune # 2835:
Official Project Stages:
    (1) Uncritical Acceptance
    (2) Wild Enthusiasm
    (3) Dejected Disillusionment
    (4) Total Confusion
    (5) Search for the Guilty
    (6) Punishment of the Innocent
    (7) Promotion of the Non-participants

--

Diese E-Mail enth=E4lt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich gesch=FCtzte Inf=
ormationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail=

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If =
you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in err=
or) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any u=
nauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this=
 e-mail is strictly forbidden.
=