Re: Workaround for /dev/grf3 pixel clock only <29Mhz problem.

> I don´t understand this. What monitors got to do with this? My patch is kind
> of kludge that enables you use higher pixel clock for text console. It
> doesn´t change anything for those who are happy about current situation.
> This patch will only affect on Picasso IV.

 OK, the best solution then, would be to inplement an IO-Control to switch
between the two modes, which can be accessed by a simple 3-line tool, very
similar to swithing between graphic board and Amiga native graphics.

> For those who would like use higher resolution text console it makes possible
> even
> then when resolution pixel clock is over 29Mhz. Of cource you need a monitor
> that support resolution that you have selected. So would you care to
> explain what you mean that "will not work for all monitors", it´s up to you
> which
> resolution you select. There are already plenty of resolutions that doesn´t
> work with your monitor and neither with mine.

 Which is exactly why your patch will probably not be implemented (as a
standard option) - NetBSD would never be able to take the responsability
in case of hardware damage due to a simple screen mode.

 Of course a #ifdef solution (for a kernel compile option) or the above
mentioned IO-Control would be suitable.

Markus Illenseer