Re: can't boot NetBSD

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:26:11AM -0700, Carol Zick wrote:

> I am installing version 1.4.1 of NetBSD, on an Amiga 2000
> with a Blizzard 2060 board, 128 megs of ram, an Ariadne 2 card, and a
> flickerfixer. I am using the ECS chip set. The computer seems to be stable
> under Amiga O/S 3.1.

Wild guess: try to use the -n0 -m8192 parameters to either loadbsd or the
bootblock. If this doesn't work, provide the additional information requested
below, please.

> I downloaded  miniroot.fs, rdbinfo , and xstreamtodev , and put them into a
> directory called NetBSD. I put loadbsd, and loadbsd-2.14 in the c directory.
> I then downloaded the sets, and put them into a directory called sets.
>
> Next I partitioned the hard drive. I made the first partition DH0 (Amiga).
> Then I made the next partitions
> root 0x4e425207 (150 megs), swap 0x4e425301 (384 megs)
> and usr 0x4e425507 (3500 megs). I then used xstreamtodev to copy the
> miniroot.fs to swap.

Uhm, you did not mark the swap or root as bootable... at least you don't tell
us....

> I then rebooted the computer, holding down both mouse
> buttons. But the swap partition did not show up on the list of bootable
> drives. (none of the NetBSD partitions did). After rereading the install
> instructions I came across where it said "bootblocks may not work on some
> systems and may require a mountable filesystem on others." So I moved on to
> try
> to use loadbsd.

> I have ixemul.librarys installed, amd they seem to work with out crashing
> when I was using Amiga Apache.
>
> I typed loadbsd -b netbsd, but all I get is the error message:
>
> loadbsd: unknown binary: Undefined error: 00
>
> I then tried running snoopdos before I typed loadbsd
> -b netbsd. loadbsd seems to be looking for two files
> bsdsockets.library and sockets.library.

No, thats the networking functions in ixemul, loadbsd itself doesn't need
them.

> Do I need these two libraries and if I do then where do I get them?

your favourite networking stack comes with one of them, the other is a
compatibility library which you can find on Aminet, I think. Don't ask me
which is which.

> I then tried to use loadbsd-2.14, by typing loadbsd-2.14 -b netbsd, but it
> gives me the error messege:
>
> loadbsd-2.14: open: Operation not permitted

What's the protection of the file "netbsd"?