Subject: Re: NetBSD on A1200 with DKB Cobra 40
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.u-bordeaux.fr>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/22/2000 20:04:35
Ok, another thing...

> > After issuing "loadbsd -b netbsd.GENERIC", the screen gets blank
> > (background color, fullscreen), and nothing more happens.
> [...]
> > Does anyone have some hints? Anyone out there running NetBSD on a 1200 with
> > 030 and no FPU?

Thanx to the amiga being a bit similar to the workstations, i issued the
loadbsd via serial port to be able to read the output:

2.System:User/Terminus/DL> loadbsd -b netbsd.GENERIC
Askboot...Using 8M FASTMEM at 0x10000000, 2M CHIPMEM

As i see here, the kernel is loaded to the end of the FastRAM area. And i just
grabbed my pocket calculator:

-rw-r--r--  1 michael  users  1965365 Aug 21 21:25 netbsd.GENERIC

This is: 0x1dfd35 bytes kernel size. If i see this right in the loadbsd
messages, this is added to 0x1062ae00. Result: it ends at 0x1080ab35

So, 0x10000000 + 8MB = 0x10800000

Either, there really are 0xab35 bytes in the kernel file, which can be dumped
away, or there is some very strange thing in loadbsd. Anyway, the kernel also
doesn't output on the serial port (don't know if it could, but this is what i
use to expect on my other machines, when no framebuffer display shows up).

If this ok, or is this as strange as it appears to me currently?

BTW: Is there any documentation for loadbsd? It knows about lots of parameters,
but the FAQs don't show much of them. Or are they all kernel parameters? Maybe
i just have to tweak something there to get my beast running.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.