Subject: Re: PCMCIA+WDC test kernel available
To: Andrew West <a_west@ntlworld.com>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.u-bordeaux.fr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/22/2000 10:53:41
        Hi,

Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org> writes:

> wdc instead of idesc, and PCMCIA support. The one I uploaded is the newest
> available, but it doesn't really work with a 1.4.-ish distribution.

Actually, PCMCIA support requires nothing special in userland (it's
just yet another network interface), and any version of ifconfig
should bring it up without problem.

As for wdc, I've been using it without problem for months now, and the
only thing it needs is the /dev entries for {r,}wd*, which can be
created with a recent MAKEDEV while still running the old (idesc)
kernel.

Of course you won't be able to create de /dev entries from the new
kernel, since you won't be able to mount the root filesystem
read/write without the /dev entries...

regards,
 Aymeric

PS: for ``advanced users'' who can't download a newer MAKEDEV but have
    the new kernel (?), here are the majors for wd.
        wd*)    name=wd;        unit=${i#wd};   blk=17; chr=52;;